The elvis sandwich
By Liam Stretch (he/him)
Sometimes in life, you just need comfort food. In the ultimate tier of such snacks is Elvis Presley’s favourite sandwich: a peanut butter, mashed banana – and bacon, if you want, toasted sandwich.
I endeavoured to make this recipe in haste before my day at work. I was very stressed, and this actually put me back on course.
This is obviously a sometimes food, but as far as ‘not-so-good for you’ things go, it’s kinda healthy.
You will need:
- One ripe banana
- A hefty slather of peanut butter
- Two pieces of nice bread. Emphasis on this nice, please don’t bother with that 89 cent floppy crap.
- A piece of bacon if you’re so inclined – or vegan bacon – or none at all.
- If you’re using bacon, fry it. I’m sure you know how to do that. Please don’t burn it or make it way to crispy. There’s no point in bacon if you do that.
- Place two pieces of bread on your trusty sandwich press and begin toasting. While this is happening, mash a banana in a small bowl until it is smooth. Once mashed, spread a good amount of peanut butter (smooth or chunky) on each slice of the bread. Then add a pile of mashed banana on each slice.
- If using bacon, place it on one of the pieces of bread and place the other half on top. Close press gently and keep an eye on it.
- Toast for around five minutes and cut in half. It will be a bit messy, so have a plate at the ready. Enjoy, and don’t overdo it. I encourage you to for a run once digested.